The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Saturday, October 18, 2014

What is big city life like.

We were working on a lesson today for Monday. We are teaching a Doctrine and Covenant and a New Testament Class.  It would be easier if we could just repeat the same lesson for all three classes. The biggest blessing is that we walk out of the condo and cross the insanely busy street to the Barlow Center. We are meeting a few of our neighbors and we are thinking of making cookies for those that live closest to us for Halloween. We need to check on the rules for the building. We are going to try and get to know all of the interns at the Barlow center.  There are 28 this semester.  We decided to invite them to Sunday dinner four at a time. We will just do something easy in the crockpot.  We ran to Trader Joes our closest little store. This is a very busy place. We pay for each piece of produce. For example bananas are 19 cents each. Potatoes are 49 cents each. Good thing there is a Costco not to far away. It is far enough that you don't run there unless you are going in that direction. 

We took a long walk to break up the day.  It was crazy out. Lots of people. I think there was a bike race earlier and a lot of the Georgetown students had parents in town. I saw a sign that welcomed parents. We found two stores Whole Foods and Dean and DeLuca were you can walk in and buy food to eat immediately. You pick what you want to eat and it cost nine dollars a pound. The groceries are unique but costly.  At Dean and DeLuca there are about 8 to 10 different kinds of black licorice. I couldn't help thinking of Uncle John.  I would have bought some but at twelve dollars a pound I just walked by.  I saw a hair cutting salon and thought I would ask what a hair cut cost. Beside being very rude they informed me that it depended on the stylist but it wouldn't go over three hundred dollars. I will be shopping around. 

Welcome to the biggggg city life. 

5 comments:

  1. We understand your food concerns. Food is Israel cost more than twice what we were paying for rent and the car. We didn't have a Costco in any direction and customer service was terrible at most of the stores where we shopped. It was a major deal to even go shopping, not be able to read the labels and then pay dearly for everything. We've never been more frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking that salon sounds like the place to go!! lol I enjoyed reading up on your last week of adventures. It makes me so excited for when Russ and I go. He needs to finish up his "mission" here first. I'm sure the longer your there the more places you'll discover to shop. Hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you saved a lot of money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gasp! Not for the faint of heart--or wallet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: Don't you have a car? Try Woodbridge area. When we lived there, it was really developing a lot and there were several affordable eateries and stuff. I think the IKEA was down there. You've really going to pay out the nose for everything right in the city.

    ReplyDelete