The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving


Today, Thanksgiving Day 2014, carried all the challenges that the toughest Thanksgiving Days in the past have carried – especially for Mom.  She worked out a plan more than two weeks ago to have the students at the Barlow Center sign up for food assignments for Thanksgiving dinner.  When it all boiled down to the final minutes before the dinner only two students from the Barlow Center attended the dinner.  We did have a student from the University of Pennsylvania, one from George Washington University, two from Mexico who are doing internships (One was a member the other was not a member), the father of one of our Barlow students, and a transient who is a member of the church.  So in total, with Sherrie and myself, we had 10 people for dinner.  See our pictures.
 The dinner turned out great as you would expect of any dinner that Mom handles.  Mom did the turkey and the ham.  The turkey was perfect!  She used timers in the thigh and in the breast and found that the timer in the thigh gave us the most accurate reading as to when the turkey was done.  In addition, she did orange roles (for Michael who could not make it), string bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy.  One of our Mexican guests had never experienced an American Thanksgiving before.  He was very impressed with the food (as was everyone else).
Following dinner we played Farkle.  Everyone got involved.  We, also, watched the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles football game.  We had something for everyone including desert that Mom and I furnished – apple pie with vanilla ice cream and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.  Mom made some Banana bread that was served while we played games.  A good time was had by all. 
When we returned home and were putting things away and washing dishes, I said to Sherrie, “I think you worked harder today that you ever have for any dinner we have ever done.  Sherrie said, “I know I did.  I couldn’t rely on anyone.”  She never really knew how many to plan for and whether they would follow through with their assignments. 
Well, the day was a tremendous success and I know Mom will sleep well tonight.  We will take some time off tomorrow and get rested up as we prepare our talks for Sunday. 

I have always wanted double ovens for Thanksgiving so you could bake different items at the same time.  Well I had double ovens but they were across the street from each other.  I made a least a half dozen trips across the street to our condo and back caring food back and forth.  Elder Anthony and I had to divide up so he could keep the oven going at the Barlow Center and I could at the condo.  While I was waiting for the turkey to cook I got the laundry started and cleaned the condo.  One trip I made was to make sure the man working in the foyer got something to eat today.  I ran him over a plate of food.  Elder Anthony is right I will sleep well tonight.  




2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. We had 36 to dinner but I did have some helpers. Still the set up, cooking, and cleanup were pretty overwhelming. I'll sleep well tonight too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Sherrie (and Dave!) on a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete