The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

5 Minutes

Five minutes can make a half hour difference.  We left about 10 minutes earlier than a week ago to get to the temple and made it to the temple 20 minutes earlier.  We left at 6:55 and we beat the bad traffic out of the city which made all the difference in the world.  It was a cold, over cast, and drizzly day.



It was raining outside but inside it was warm and inspiring.  I had a thought hit me today.  Moses 4:26 says that, "Adam called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living." We are symbolically Adam and Eve.  When we are sealed to our husband we are the mother of our husband's posterity.   There is a wonderful article about women and the priesthood that opens up the importance of the role that women play in the plan. I would recommend you read this.  I really enjoyed seeing her perspective.   http://mormonscholarstestify.org/1718/valerie-hudson-cassler

I so love the temple.  One of the temple workers quoted a verse from the D&C 109:22. This verse is from the dedication of the Kirtland Temple.  It is a promise about attending the temple.  "And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy name may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine angels have charge over them."  What a cool promises to be reminded of today.

Going straight to the temple and straight home and getting through the traffic without hitting any really terrible traffic takes four hours.   On the way we were listening to Christmas music and I heard a song that made me cry as I remembered our tradition.  We always had what we called a crown cake.  It was Jesus' birthday cake.  As we had our in-law children join our family I think they thought it was strange that Christmas morning for breakfast we always had crown cake for breakfast and before we could eat it we would sing happy birthday to Jesus and blow out a candle. I wanted my grandchildren to be introduced to the birthday song so they would remember that Christmas day was not presents but Jesus' birthday.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=happy%20birthday%20jesus%20song

We only worked about four hours at the Barlow Center today.

My knee is feeling better today.  I called to get the results from the MRI but they will not give them to me.  Only my doctor can tell me the results and he won't be in until after the New Year so it will be awhile.  In the meantime I felt good enough to go walking through some stores.  We took the bus to a pretty exclusive area to just walk around the stores:  Neiman Marcus, Sack 5th Avenue, World Market, JT Max, H&M, William Sonoma, and The Container Store.  It was fun just looking.  Neiman Marcus had a beautiful gray fur coat for just 20,000.00.   They had a cute suit coat on sale for 947.00.  It had been 1500.00.  You have got to be kidding.  We topped off our adventure by going to McDonald's.

I love getting Christmas cards. We got a special gift from Hilton and Laura Lui.  Laura is a young lady I taught on my first mission to Hawaii.  Now I am being blessed with their sweet generosity.  It has been a good day. We ended the day by watching the Christmas Carol.  We watch the Christmas Carol every year.(The 1938 version starring Reginald Owen).  It wouldn't be Christmas without  fulfilling a few of our traditions.



2 comments:

  1. Hutch has that same traffic theory. He says, he can leave work at 5:30 and sit in traffic for an hour, being home by 6:30. Or he can leave work at 6:30, only have a half-hr commute and be home by 6:30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids enjoyed that video and song you sent us. We carried on the birthday cake tradition this year!

    ReplyDelete