The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Entry for December 24

The day before Christmas was an interesting day in the lives of the two missionaries in Washington DC.  Most people would consider the day boring or uninteresting.  If you are one of those people you can stop reading now but for us it was one of those days you really need to catch up on all the loose ends.  We began the day by sleeping in until 7AM.  Mom fixed a big breakfast of ham and eggs.  When we finally got rolling we spent quite a bit of time cleaning the condo.  Even though I tease Mom about the fact that the condo looks like the Merry Maids just completed their work, we still had a few things to do to keep it in the condition that Mom expects.  Along with our adventures in cleaning we also did some laundry.  Once we had these tasks nearly finished (it seems like we can never get the laundry completed) we both started work on some Barlow Center odds and ends.  This took another four hours. The difference was we stayed home and worked.

We went for a short walk.  We bought the wrong belt for our vacuum so we returned it and got the right one.  We stopped at Trader Joes for lettuce and Belgium chocolate bars.  That seems like to completely different food goals.  the fresh air was great and the walk was wonderful. 
Several days ago Mom and I found some sirloin steaks at Safeway for 50% off and another 50% off of that.  We decided to really fix ourselves a treat so we prepared sirloin steaks, baked potatoes, steamed broccoli and green salad.  Just as we were finishing dinner we got a text from Irving, a young man from the ward who is from Mexico.  He said that he had decided to take us up on our offer and spend Christmas Eve with us.  We quickly saved some of our steak for him along with other odds and ends from our meal.  In addition, Mom made a big batch of chocolate chip cookies. that made dinner guest 56. 

One week ago Mom and I set and appointment for a date to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" on Christmas Eve.  So we met Irving at the Barlow  Center at 8PM and watched the show while Irving ate dinner.  The show finished at 11PM and we all left.  Mom and I headed back to our condo.  On the way home we were amazed.  The temperature was 57 degrees.  It was delightful to be outside.  We wondered what it was like back in Orem.

When we arrived home we opened our Christmas presents.  We got a calendar from Jake and Crystal with family pictures and birthdays noted.  It made us both homesick.  Then we opened our present from Adam and Lisa.  Inside we found two Christmas stockings that we wished we had had earlier.  The stocking looked like a missionaries shirt with a name tag.  Mom then forced me to open my presents.  She gave me some really nice fleece lounge wear.  I gave her a new watch.
Our greatest gift this year was just the love we have developed between the two of us.  We feel like the luckiest people on earth and we thank our Savior and our Heavenly Father many times daily for that gift.  Merry Christmas.


  1. I am glad the calendar arrived without any problems. If you want to know about never ending laundry...come to one of our houses.