The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Saturday, December 20, 2014

National Gallery of Art



We went to the National Gallery of Art today and took the day off.  I was so embarrassed to have to go in a wheelchair but I didn't have a choice and Elder Anthony was so kind to push me around so I didn't have to walk.


We really enjoyed the art work.

This little ballerina is a special item on temporary exhibit until January 11, 2015


This is Peter with the keys.  




The museum has a furniture collection called the Kaufman collection. It is one of the largest most refined collection of early American furniture in private hands.  









This is in layed marble.  












This cup is the oldest piece in the gallery.  It is from 1st century B.C.



These next pictures were some of our favorite pieces. 






 























Rembrandt Self Portrait

Shaw Memorial of an African American soldiers formed during the Civil War.

We have a small version of this picture of George Washington's family in our bathroom.  

This famous portrait of George Washington is in the National Gallery. 


Napoleon 




They have beautiful rotundas to enjoy the Christmas season or just sit and enjoy the atmosphere.  

  


3 comments:

  1. That's probably our favorite Smithsonian Museum. So sorry to see you in a wheelchair. You're just starting your service. You need to get to the bottom of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favorite was the sculpture of the hand of God. What a beautiful piece of art. Now, what are you doing in a wheelchair? I know you well enough to know you must have been in a lot of people to consent to being pushed around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a story about each of these, I swear! I think my parents must have decorated our house after making a trip to the Nat'l Gallery. Lovely lovely. That blue-dress girl always hung in the kids room and makes me think of Becky.Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete