The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Your a Mormon

This morning as we headed out for the day we got on the elevator with an older gentleman.  He looked at our name tags and immediately said, "you are from Utah".  We laughed and confirmed that we were.  He said, "well I can say this much about your Church your philosophy on life is right on".  The ride was over and we left wishing him a great day.

Today was the day I have waited for in great pain for weeks.  Dr. William Sadlack is with Johns Hopkins Medical group.  He is an Orthopedic surgeon.  We got there faster than we thought but we needed the extra time to get all the insurance stuff okay-ed.  Before we left he looked at our badges and said, "when I was in medical school they always recruited a lot of students out of Utah". He said, "I have great respect for your religion and the men and women I worked with in school.  You are hard working people, you are very responsible, and you are very service oriented.  I really admire what you do".  He was such a nice person.  He said if you don't get relief from this shot you come back.  I told him he would be the first to know.  He said, "I will be off for Christmas but they can find me if you need help" Wow what a nice doctor.

We stopped at Costco to get some Advil he wanted me to take and we run into a guy that says to us I bet I have attended Church further away than you have.  His wife is in Ecuador teaching and she won't be back for 19 more months.  He is retired and fly's there occasionally.    Elder Anthony said I have been to church in China and India that got the conversation going.  I left them talking.  Then we went to the food court and another member found Elder Anthony.  He told us his conversion story.  Then he brought his wife over to meet us.

Most people who see us look at our name tag and then look down at the ground or look away or just ignore us.  We try to watch their eyes and if they make eye contact we always greet them.  What think you about the Mormons?

2 comments:

  1. It's so refreshing to hear that questions like these can be answered as part of your calling. When people asked us about our Church, the required response was, We WISH we could tell you more but unfortunately we have an agreement with the Israeli government not to share our beliefs with anyone. It was so sad when so many wanted to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dyed in the wool; true blue through and through. I find it weird to bring up my religion in Utah, but I feel like it's always on the tip of my tongue out here.

    ReplyDelete