The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Friday, January 30, 2015

Bake Day

Susana is our maintenance lady at the Barlow.  She is from El Salvado.  She loves my cinnamon rolls.  I love her empanadas. I gave her the recipe and she tried making rolls and said they were so bad that she had to throw them out.  She said her husband said if you could learn to make these it would be the best.  So we decided that today I would bring the supplies and show her how to make cinnamon rolls and she would bring everything to make empanadas and teach me how to make them.  Then we started to think about the students sitting in their seminar class smelling all the great smells.  So I made a huge batch so the students could have cinnamon rolls for break and Susana could have a tray to take home.

Susana taught me how to make empanadas and they are right tasty.  It was a long day on our feet by the time we finished all our cooking and cleaning up the kitchen.  Everyone loved the cinnamon rolls. Those who were privileged to get empanadas loved them.

I sat in on the last 30 minutes of a guest speaker the students had at the Barlow today.

We walked back and forth across the street today.  Elder Anthony had two more crossings than I did.  I helped Lilly across the street today to catch the bus she was worried about falling.  We took our stuff over this morning.  Then we had to make two trips to get things back home.  After we were home and were taking our coats off one of our interns called and asked Elder Anthony for a blessing.  So we walked back over.  That was a very sweet experience.  This week Elder Anthony gave two blessings.  One on Tuesday evening and one today.  I am so impressed that these young students seek help from the Lord and are so humble.

Tonight is laundry night.

I found the most beautiful scriptures this morning.  It brought such peace to my soul.  D&C 98:1-3. In verse 1 the Lord tells us to give thanks in everything.  Sometime when life seems difficult or we have worries and concerns it is hard remember to give thanks.  Verse two and three says "Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament-the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted. Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fufilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my names's glory, saith the Lord."  I love those verses.  What a comfort to know that the Lord knows my concerns and is listening.  Those verses made my day.




3 comments:

  1. We have had none stop guests staying with us since the first part of November, plus a trip to Arizona and one to Santa Clara, plus I've been sick off and on since Christmas. So, I've finally able to take a few minutes to catch up on blogs. I've spent a few minutes reading your past posts and have enjoyed your mission experiences. I'm amazed at how different you experiences are from ours, and Jan & John's yet we all find joy and fulfillment in serving the Lord in whatever capacity we are called!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep practicing those empanadas! I want you to teach me how to make them when you get home!

    ReplyDelete