The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Missionary Sunday

Wow what a missionary Sunday we had today.  We first off had a great meeting.  We have a 17 year old page that is here from Brighton High School.  He is doing missionary work like crazy.  He is such a great young man.  He brought another page a girl to church today.  She is Lutheran.  He asked me when I went back to meet her if I had a Book of Mormon.  I said I don't but I can find one.  I found the Elders and sure enough they had one in their back pack.  I took it back and he was going to just hand it to her.  I said you can't give someone a book like that without writing in it.  So he did.

One of our Sacrament meeting speakers is graduating from Georgetown University.  He invited his class mates to come and here him talk.  He had at least 14 people there.  He faced them and said to the rest of the congregation I will be facing this direction.  I want to tell my friends why I choose to be a Mormon and why I believe this church is true.  The rest of you can listen in if you want to.  He gave a great talk.  The other two speakers also gave great talks.

I should explain what a page is because I didn't know until I met our Brighton High School page.  This is what they are and how they are selected.  In order to become a US Senate Page, one must first be nominated by a Senator, generally from his or her State. A candidate must be a 16 or 17 year-old high school junior (11th grade), with at least a 3.0 GPA. Summer pages can be either incoming or outgoing juniors and still have a GPA requirement of a 3.0. During the school year, there are up to 30 Pages. Because US Senate Pages are required to wear uniforms while on the job, they are some of the most recognized employees of the Senate. The uniform consists of a navy blue suit, a white, long sleeve, traditional dress shirt, a name badge, Page insignia lapel pin, and a plain, navy tie (males only).
As expected of most Senate employees, Pages are especially required to maintain a neat, professional appearance. Boys must be clean-shaven with hair kept short and neat, falling above their ears. Girls must also have their hair neat and kept out of their face. No extraneous jewelry is to be worn. If a page's appearance is not deemed satisfactory during the work day he or she may be sent back to Webster Hall immediately. Especially for males, any facial hair, such as a mustache, will result in immediate dismissal from the Capitol Building. They have a very tight schedule.  They get up at 6:00 to do their high school classes and they have a curfew is at 9:00.  
Our page came up to me after sacrament meeting and asked if we would come and answer some of his friends question.  Elder Anthony and I taught a plan of salvation lesson.  We will try and encourage them to meet with the full time Elders.   We had a great meeting and our non-member friend is coming to conference with us next Sunday and is very interested in the church.  
After church we had two of our George Washington students over for dinner and one of our University of Utah interns.  They are all faithful members of our institute class and they are going home for the summer.  Our U of U intern leaves Saturday.  We will miss them this summer.  It has been a great day.  I love teaching the gospel.  I wish when I was a missionary I would have felt this comfortable teaching.  We will take our page friend and his investigator to conference next Sunday which is over by the temple and take them to the visitor center after.  They haven't been their yet.  
In case you haven't noticed I try not to mention names in our blog.  This is an open blog and because it is I don't use peoples name.  I would love to use our pages name because it is the name of a great Old Testament prophet and he is such a special young man and a great ambassador for the church. 

2 comments:

  1. Have you read, "The Power of Everyday Missionaries," by Clayton Christensen? You would love it and you sound like him in all that you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of a page and that sounds like a really neat opportunity. That boy is doing an amazing work already and will be a stellar missionary. It shows you what an influence you can be if you just open your mouth.

    ReplyDelete