The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Regrets

I guess we all have some regrets as parents.  I was thinking about our mission and how I love to teach the young adults.  What a joy to search the scriptures together.  I was also reading a conference talk about how it is the responsibility of parents to teach their children.  It basically  said they shouldn't get our left over talents or abilities.  I don't feel like I was ever really able to teach my children.  I have taught thousands of young people and in some cases I have had some very powerful experiences but not with my own children.  I had a young lady come up tonight and said I love institute.  I love coming. It is my spiritual up lift for the week.  In Family Home Evenings and in our daily scripture reading I don't feel like I ever made a difference with my own children.  It always seemed it was an experience to be endured or a source of family fighting or complete apathy.  I am not quite sure how I could have fixed it but I feel like the ability or talent the Lord gave me has never benefited the ones I love the most.

We had a great temple day today.  We did an endowment session and stayed for two sealing sessions.  We got some family cards done that needed to be done.

2 comments:

  1. Heavenly Father knows what is in our hearts. That is how He will judge us. Success in family life is based on our intents and efforts, whether we feel they yielded success or not. BTW -- you have some pretty terrific kids. YOU DID NOT FAIL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/more-diligent-and-concerned-at-home?lang=eng
    This talk by Elder Bednar, esp this paragraph and following: “He’s touching me!” “Make him stop looking at me!” “Mom, he’s breathing my air!” Sincere prayers occasionally were interrupted with giggling and poking. And with active, rambunctious boys, family home evening lessons did not always produce high levels of edification...

    ReplyDelete