The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Friday, September 18, 2015

Valley Forge

This is our 3 trip to Valley Forge. It is amazing how much I learn each time.  It is great to be with the interns and take a few days away from our regular work. It isn't really restful but always enjoyable.  This morning for the first time we went to pick up the bagel order that we turned in last Saturday and they had lost it and the bagels were not ready to go. I think someone may be in big trouble over that one. But they quickly put the order together and we were only about 15 late. Five dozen bagels are a little hard to absorb.  

Our tour guide through Valley Forge was great.  He is a history teacher.  He is so knowledge about the history here.  Because it is BYU he always throws in the little miracles that occur because of the hand of the Lord guiding George Washington.  He shared a personal story today about growing up in the Vietnam era and how he rebelled and didn't want to fight for this country. In fact he couldn't wait to leave this country and he went to Europe.  It was there that he learned what a great country this really is and he came back humbled and swore he would always be proud to be an American and he would stand up for this country.

Then tonight we had the man that does the reenactment of a colonial soldier that was black named Ned Hector.  He is funny, inspiring and educational. His message is that we as Americans need to remember that our history is black history and they are woven together and we need to appreciate the sacrifice that was made so we could enjoy the freedom that we have.  George Washington had black armies   and he integrated them.  They would not be integrated again until the Korean War. When once again white men and black men would fight together. He is very passionate about his message and it comes across in a very powerful way.  We have a Korean young man with us.  He was sitting with us after at the ice cream social and he said that today had changed his life.  In fact coming on this seminar was changing his life.  He told of a time when he was sixteen and he gave a talk at a Veteran day assembly about coming to America and how his gradfather had fought in the Korean War.  After the assembly a woman came up to him and said, "you will never be an American." He said I have always felt different about being an American like I really didn't fit in.  He said tonight Ned called him up in front and had him hold his gun and he said you and I are men of color why are you fighting in the Revolutionary War. The young man said for my freedom.  He said that experience changed his life. He said I really believed I am as much of an American as anyone in that room. 

He went on to say that he has been inactive for the.past 8 months.  He said this seminar has changed my life. I am around the best people, I have gone back to church, and I am attending institute for the first time.  He said I am so happy.  I am so happy. Today was a life changing day.


1 comment:

  1. I am a little sad that we didn't make it there. I would live to hear that reenactment. I guess that's for another trip.

    ReplyDelete