The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Pass A Long Cards

We had a great class today with our mothers.  We had 16 adults and I have no idea how many children.  It is a great thing to see them anxious to learn and be with each other.  We generally leave some of them in the Church visiting when we leave.  We had several errands to run today.  It rained all day as well.  When we came out of Wal-Mart there was a Latino lady with a cute little girl that was about 20 months old.  Her mother was very pregnant and looked like she was due any time.  The stroller the little one was in was wet and her little pink pants were already wet from the rain.  The mother's dress was wet especially where her stomach stuck out.  They had an umbrella.  She was standing there and watching the rain and then she put the little girl in the stroller and started out into the rain.  Elder Anthony was picking me up so I did't need to walk in the rain.  I see her heading down the walk way and I called out to her.  Would you like a ride home.  She didn't hesitate.  Yes.  She was going to stand in the rain and wait for a bus.  She gave us her address and we drove her home. She didn't live very far.  She is due in the first part of January but she is already having cramps and her doctor thinks she will come early.  On the way she asked what church do you go to.  We said The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  She asked us if we had a Church close by.  I was digging in my purse for a pass a long card and trying to look up wards close by.  She said her husband couldn't speak English very well.  I gave her a card and told her if she called for a free Book of Mormon that they could help her find a Spanish speaking ward and bring her a Spanish Book of Mormon.  I have been trying to get through to the Washington DC South mission to give them a referral.  They still haven't answered me.  But I will find a way to get through.  I think she is looking for a church.

It is funny when our predecessors were introducing us to the work they were showing us where the class is on King Street.  We go out of our mission to teach that class.  There is also a Costco over there and they showed us were that was.  The sister as they crossed over into the other mission had her husband and her take off their name tag.  I asked why they did that.  She said it confuses people.  I thought that was a dump reason.  We are missionaries whether we are in our own boundaries or not.  We don't ever remove our tags.  I was grateful today that we had our name tags on which started the conversation with this sister.  I hope something comes from this contact.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you noticed the woman and offered her a ride. I hope she calls!

    ReplyDelete