The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Pearl Did It!

Today has been one of those funny days.  Sunday evening Dave felt the nerve in his right leg being mildly pinched.  By the time he got up Monday morning he was nearly incapacitated.  However, he toughed through it and we did teach our class on capital hill.  After class, he came home and I put a heating pad on his back and he remained in bed for the rest of the evening. 

This morning at a little after 8 AM Dave got a call from his new primary care physician at the VA.  Because she was new she didn't know that Dave could not take insets for the pain.  Which means Tylenol is the only thing he can take without taking much stronger medication.  She has prescribed physical therapy.  They were supposed to call and set up and appointment today but they (VA) did not call.  After the call  he was feeling a little better and so he went over to the Barlow Center.  We had people in from BYU and contractors from Salt Lake and he wanted to meet with them.  However, by 11 AM he returned home and spent the rest of the day in bed with the heating pad. 

We have a granddaughter named Pearl.  Pearl is very very shy.  The funny thing she reminds me of me.  So much so that I watch her and I can feel those feelings that I use to have and it is strange to face my past.  She even looks like I did at about the same age.  Her mother and dad where so proud of her giving her primary part in the their primary program that they had tears because they knew how hard it was for her to get up in front of everyone. Crystal's blog about Pearl doing her primary part was Pearl Did It!

Since I have been in Washington DC I have only driven 3 times a short distance with Dave.   It takes our four eyes to drive in this city and as a passenger I never casually sit there I am vicariously driving each time we go out.  I am also directionally challenged.  If there is a wrong way to go I go that way.  So today when we both realized that Elder Anthony really couldn't go with me for the hour ride to the temple and then to sit through a session then teach until 10:00 tonight I knew I would have to go alone.  I knew that between the many time we have gone to the temple and Sally (who is our GPS) that I would not get lost.  But I had to muster an extra ounce of courage to venture out into the the big city and all the traffic all by myself, Knowing it would take an hour both direction to get to my destination.  It was funny as I pulled into the temple parking lot the thought hit me,  Pearl did it.  My shy, reserved, non adventurous Pearl did it.  I was proud of myself. I missed not having my companion with me to go to the temple and teach with but I did it.  It was probably good he was home because at  about 7:30 he got a call notifying him that the fire alarm had gone off.  He was able to get the fire alarm reset. We probably would have been able to walk our student assistant through the processes but it was good he was here.  When I pulled the car into the parking garage I thought wow  I did it.  Something which is very much against my nature to venture out by myself in such a big city, but I did it. 

4 comments:

  1. You can do hard things through Christ!! Hope Dave recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do hard things through Christ!! Hope Dave recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you haven't really driven much before this. It took me 3 months before I would drive in Israel but it was a great feeling knowing I could get out on my own as necessary to grocery shop, visit teach, and pick up people who were visiting from the states. Our prayers are with Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing you now gives me hope that Pearl will one day talk to people! It was neat to see you face something that scared you, just as your granddaughter did. I loved your post.

    ReplyDelete