The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Last Class for the year

We taught our last class for the year today.  We didn't have a very good turn out in our mothers class today.  We have quite a few of our students from one ward.  Last night a young father who was the bishop in the ward until 2 months ago died in China on a business trip.  He got a septic shock and was admitted to the hospital.  The ward got a text to fast last night and this morning at 1:00 a.m. he died.  The wife has a 3 month old baby and three other children under 7.  I didn't know who the bishop was but you couldn't help being sad for what is ahead for that little family.  I guess his father flew out today to go bring his sons body back to the US.

We will start checking students out of the Barlow tomorrow.  We will have that job finished off on Monday.  We only have two more semesters left to teach.

There is a lot of activity at the Barlow.  We have men working there from Utah putting in air exchangers.  We have been getting contractors in giving us bids on the remodel of the foyer.

We got to the temple today after our last class.

Our condo association keeps the most beautiful fresh plants  around the building.  I love seeing them.  I need to take a picture of the Christmas Tree.  

One of our interns brought us this beautiful flour arrangement today.  What a nice surprise.  Elder Anthony gave her a blessing on Monday evening.

Look at the brave boy.

This article was in the Deseret News on the bishop that passed away.

The holiday film “It’s a Wonderful Life” tells the story of George Bailey, an ordinary man whose everyday actions changed the lives of others. When Bailey finds himself in a difficult situation, his friends come to his aid, just as he had come to theirs so many times before.
When you hear Nate Graham’s friends describe his legacy of service, it is difficult not to think of George Bailey.
Graham, senior manager of global and government relations at Procter & Gamble, was in China last week on business when he began to feel sick and excused himself from a meeting. About a day later, on Dec. 10, he was found unconscious in his hotel room and taken to a hospital, where he died just hours later. It has since been discovered that the cause of his death was sepsis, a response to an unknown infection.
In the week that has passed since Graham’s death, people from around the world have paid tribute to their colleague, friend and former ecclesiastical leader. One of Graham's friends, Sheldon Gilbert, created a YouCaring campaign, and over 700 supporters have donated more than $100,000, providing financial relief for Graham’s widow, Melanie, and her four sons, who range from 2 months to 6 years old.
Much like the friends of George Bailey, these people have come to the aid of Graham’s family to show gratitude for the many times Graham helped them.
Graham, a 37-year-old Utah native who was living in Washington, D.C., was released as a bishop of the Crystal City Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints just six weeks ago. Graham served as bishop for 4 1/2 years in an area that attracts people for a variety of reasons, such as government jobs and academic pursuits. Due to the transient nature of the area, Gilbert estimates that 1,000 people moved into the ward (with probably just as many moving out) during Graham’s service as bishop.
“For me, a hallmark of Nate and his leadership as bishop of the Crystal City Ward was his overwhelming inclusiveness,” said Brandon Boey, who served with Graham in the bishopric and now lives in Maine. “He made it a point to emphasize the message in his meetings that this is a church for all people. He had a gift for inspiring others to think about how to make others feel welcome and at home.”

1 comment:

  1. That is so sad about that bishop and his family.