The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

What is so good about institute?

We should just label Tuesdays our long day. There is no way around it.  This is a 14 hour day.  We started the morning out with a meeting with Jeff, our facility manger.  He and Elder Anthony looked over the remodel job so far and talked about up coming projects.  We took off and went to the chiropractor after the meeting. Elder Anthony's back is doing really well but his hip is really bothering him.  I hope this chiropractor isn't bothering it more.  We made it to the temple which is always the high light of our week.  After grabbing some dinner we headed to the stake center to study before our class.  We had an all time high  attendance for this class.  20 students were in attendance.  I hope we can maintain that number.  This is the class we started up in the fall and I was worried we couldn't get enough to come but it is slowly growing.  We love teaching them.  Next week it could be 8 students . I hope the two weeks off for the semester break doesn't drop the momentum.     I felt really good to see that many people come.

I had a funny experience.  I ran into a young man leaving for a mission at the end of this month.  He was there to see the stake president. I said to him you should have been coming to our institute class.  His response was I don't need to I know all that stuff.  I have even read the Book of Mormon already.  I said well I think there are probably some things you could learn that would be helpful for your mission.  I took that class in my ward.  I said it isn't missionary prep we are teaching.  We are teaching the doctrines and principles of the gospel.  He said well what is institute anyway.  I said it is college religion classes.  I shared a little about our current course we are teaching.  Well he said maybe I could learn something but I am leaving so I won't be coming.  I encouraged him to go to institute when he came home.  I also explained that our full time missionaries attend and bring investigators and we have non members come to our classes so maybe while he is a missionary he could go.  I love his confidence.  I am prepared to go and I know what I need to know.  I think after the first week he may be served some humble pie.

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha, that is funny he said he had already read the book of mormon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is in for a rude awakening!

    ReplyDelete