The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Atonement

I am teaching this week about the atonement.  There is a question that the lesson asks that caused me a great deal of reflection and pondering.  When have you felt gratitude that the Savior overcame physical and spiritual death?  This is a universal gift to all mankind.  Yet the only time I think I have really felt gratitude for this gift is at the death of a loved one.  When you looked at your loved one and are thankful that one day you will see them again in the flesh.  But I don't think I have ever expressed my gratitude specifically for that gift.  So I would like the Lord to know how humbled I am at the great gift I have been given to know that one day I will be resurrected with a perfect body without aches and pains.  That I will be able to enjoy loved one again.  I know I will be brought into the presence of the Lord and my great desire is that I will remain in His presence surround by my loved one.  That is part of the wonderful gift of the atonement.  President James E. Faust expressed it nicely when he said, "I wish to speak about the greatest event in all history.  That singular event was the incomparable atonement of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ.  This was the most transcendent act that has ever taken place." Ensign, Nov. 2001

1 comment:

  1. I think we take the atonement for granted quite often in our lives.

    ReplyDelete