The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Soup and Salad or Soup on your Salad

We only have one more week to teach our mothers class.  The older kids get out of school so the class is not held in the summer.  It would be a zoo with the older kids as well as the little ones.  We decided to go out to eat lunch today for my birthday.  Andy Johns our last professor here gave us a 100.00 dollar card for dinner at Jaleo.  He told us how good the food was there.  It was a really nice place and we chose to eat outside today because it was an absolutely beautiful day.  Just the perfect temperature.  They had a lunch special.  You could order four courses for 20.00.  I decided to go with that.  Elder Anthony ordered a grilled chicken salad.  Most of the items on the menu I couldn't say.   This was truly a nice place.  The bread basket was this great bread with olive oil to dip in with garlic and fresh rosemary.  Then I had a special cold rice soup, a bean salad, chicken, and ice cream for desert.  They brought my bean salad first and this shot glass with what I thought was a salad dressing on the side.  The salad dressing was very good on the white bean salad that was filled with all kinds of exotic flavors and interesting things.  Elder Anthony really liked it as well but he really like the dressing and had me add more.  When he got his salad he asked the waitress that delivers the food to bring him some of that dressing for his salad.  Her response was strange.  She said I will ask if that is okay.  A few minutes later she appeared with the little shot glass of dressing.

She brought out the chicken and spinach for me and then my scoop of ice cream.    I didn't want to eat my ice cream before I had my soup.  So I told her I didn't get my soup.  She once again looked very confused and said she would get our waiter that had taken the order.  I told him I didn't get the soup yet.  He said that it was what had been in the shot glass.  I felt so stupid.  He apologized that he hadn't made it clear.  I think he was trying to make up for us being so dumb. I realize that in really expensive places the servings are sometime really small. I felt so dumb and we had to admit to him we thought it was dressing for the salad and it was delicious even on the salad.  He said maybe we will have to make that part of the menu.  When he left Elder Anthony and I started laughing at ourselves.  No wonder the lady that brought the food answered us so strangely.   Here I was telling her I didn't get my soup and there was the empty shot glass right next to me.  Elder Anthony had asked for an item not on his order soup to pour on top of his salad.  I am sure they were in the back laughing at the dumb Mormon missionaries that were not cultured enough to recognize that they were pouring their soup on their salads.  We walked away feeling really sheepish and uncultured.  We did get a laugh out of our mistake in fact we got laughing so hard we couldn't stop.

As soon as we got home we had one of our students call and ask for a blessing.  She came to the condo.  We had a nice visit with her and she got the blessing which was a really special answer to prayer.

We got our laundry done tonight.  Crystal called us and we got to face time with her and watch David perform in his recital.   It was great to see him.  Face time can be so great to keep you connected. I also worked on my talk for conference on Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. That's a funny story you'll be laughing about for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA!!!! That is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete