The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Sunday Dinners

We have had the joy of having many people sit around our table for Sunday dinner.  We learned after the first semester of interns that we had to find something that was less costly than our traditional pot roast dinner.  So we decided on sour dough waffles made from the sour dough start that we got more than 20 years ago. We were visiting the church history sites in Palmyra, New York.  We noticed outside the Joseph Smith home, that Alvin had started for his parents, a car from California with the license plate 'Sour Dough'.  We love sour dough so we asked whose car that was.  This missionary couple serving there told us about their sour dough starter that they had brought on their mission.  At the time the starter was 78 years old.  They finally took us to their apartment and gave us a start of the sour dough and the recipes.  This was before 9/11 so there was no problem putting our starter in a cup of ice and carrying it on the plane.  When we came out here I brought part of my starter thinking that what I left at home would be lucky to survive two years with out being replenished.  We have fed hundreds of people from that sour dough starter since being here. We occasionally have someone that is gluten intolerant and we have to have a different menu. I only have one more Barlow group to do before I have fed this batch of interns.  Next time I have students over it will be for those that are gluten intolerant. That means that today unless we invite some from the ward it was our last Sunday dinner of sour dough waffles until we leave.  Today after dinner I had some batter left over so I made some sour dough rolls.  They were pretty tasty.

I still have another batch of Barlow interns and possibly a few other or maybe the missionaries that I will feed before we leave but I have fed around my table as of today 331 people in addition to about 230  people at the Barlow center between conference sessions and at Thanksgiving.  Breaking bread with another breaks down barriers and brings a special bond and love.

2 comments: