The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Sabbath a Delight

We headed to stake conference this morning.  We left the same time as last night and we were almost late getting there last night.  This morning we were there with a half hour to spare.  That was okay because it gave me a chance to look over my notes for my conference talk.

This is my talk: My happiest memories as a child were visiting my Grandfathers farm in Emery, Utah.  Every inch of his property was an adventure for young children from the city.  I loved to follow my grandpa around as he performed his morning and nightly chores.  I was always fascinated when he drove to the field and would call, “Come cows, Come cows.” Twenty to thirty cows would turn and lazily walk to the opening in the gate out onto the road and start walking the mile or so to the corral.   There would be an occasion cow or two that would not come.  When that would happen my grandpa would send Pup to get them.  This faithful obedient dog would go to the end of the pasture at full speed and start barking and nipping at the stragglers until they followed the group. 
 In the book of Revelation we have a favorite verse that that artists have drawn and many of us have hanging in our homes.  Revelation 3:20, reads, “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”  The artists’ that draw this picture show Jesus Christ stand and knocking at a door without a door handle.  On the other side of the door there is a handle for us to open the door and let Him in.  We often miss something important in this verse. It says He stands and knocks but it also says “if any man hear my voice, and open the door.”  He is calling to us, begging us to come to the door. 
How does the Good Shepherd call to you and Me to come.
He calls to us by way of His prophets and apostles. D&C -1:38 reminds us that all His words shall be fulfilled whether by His voice, or by the voice of His servants it is the same.
He calls by way of the Spirit,  John 16:13 “the Spirit of truth will guide you into all truth”
He will send angels who as Nephi reminds us in 2 Nephi 32:3, “ speak by the power of the Holy Ghost, wherefore, they speak the words of Christ.”

Elder Robert D. Hales, “For when we want to speak to God, we pray. And when we want Him to speak to us, we search the scriptures.” Ensign, Nov. 2006

Nephi compares the word of God to an iron rod that leads us through difficult times. “whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.”
In the parable of the 10 virgins the foolish virgins arrive late to the feast.  They too knock on a door.  In Matthew 25:12 the bridegroom doesn’t open the door but says “I know you not.”  Matthew 7:23  talks about our meeting with the Lord where we outline all our good deeds, “Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast our devils and done many wonderful works? Once again is the chilling reply “then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me.” We recognize that this simply is not true.  Our Savior knows us very well.  The Joseph Smith inspired translation takes Matthew 7:23 and teaches us the correct principle, “You never knew me.” (JST Matt. 7:33)
My husband and I have spent the almost last two years encouraging young adults to register and take institute.  We feel this program is so important that we would leave family and home to try and encourage the young adults to come and learn of Christ.  You might say that the Church opens the gate and invites us to come, come and learn of Christ whether it be in institute, seminary, Sunday school or our own personal scripture study.  I feel sometime my husband and I are like Pup, my Grandpa’s dog, who runs after those that are hanging back and provides a little push because we know the great benefits that will come into your life as you learn about the Good Shepherd and come to know His voice.  The promise Nephi gave for holding to the iron rod applies to all those who study the word, “they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead then away to destruction.”
Tell story of the Magleby boy in my class.
Revelation that came to read the scriptures and pray to get through the cesspool of evil today.
We all serve as “Pups” to encourage our youth to go to institute and seminary.
Boyd K. Packer, (Parents, Presidents, Bishops, and Youth Leaders) saidEnsign, May 1983, 67
April 21, 2009
“Parents, encourage, even insist, that your students register for seminary or institute. Presidents, bishops, youth leaders, you are responsible to encourage every youngster, without exception, to enroll. Few things you do will benefit them quite as much.” 
President Monson gives us a promise for attending institute that I have recited hundreds of times as I have encouraged young adults to take the time to attend institute. 
Make Institute a Priority Pres. Monson
“I promise you that as you participate in institute and study the scriptures diligently, your power to avoid temptations and to receive direction of the Holy Ghost in all you do will be increased. That is a promise I leave with you.”
Mosiah 5:3, “For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?” May we come to know the Good Shepherd that is calling after us to Come, Come and partake.  Amen
It must have gone okay because I had a lot of people coming up to talk to me and they have texted me but I wanted to get to Sister Baird who did the music for the session.  I have never been so over come by the spirit with the music that she selected and how it was presented  and the arrangements. The choir sang for 15 minutes before the meeting started and it was a wonderful way to bring the spirit into the meeting.  She had a children's choir perform with the choir and it made me cry.  One of the Sister missionaries came to me and said they had brought an investigator that was so touched by my talk that she was wondering if she could meet me.  That was an easy request.  Tonight I feel spiritually like a rag which usually means that I was able to teach by the spirit which is what I prayed for.  I hope that doesn't sound prideful because I know I can't do any thing without the help of the Lord and I just wanted to deliver the message He wanted delivered.  
Elder Anthony took a picture of me speaking.
We had 3 interns with us that wanted to stop at the temple.  I finally had to go get them because we had dinner guest coming today.  We got the dinner ready in record time and had 6 of our new interns over to eat.  When they left I made bread for class tomorrow and Tuesday.  We have homemade bread day once each semester.  
Elder Anthony attacked one of the loaves.  
A couple of Elders wanted us to come tonight to help teach an investigator.  We didn't know if we could get all our commitments done and put the finishing touches on our lessons.  We did get done but we couldn't get them to answer their phone so I am not sure the discussion is still on.  

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a day of diligence and heeding the promptings every minute -- not only to speak with the spirit but to have guests to dinner, bake bread, and still be standing at the end of day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to do some catch up on your blog posts. I read your talk and really enjoyed it. I graduated from institute and learned so much from my teachers at college. I know its been so rewarding for you.
    I LOVED the story about you going to the restaurant and pouring your soup on your salad. You'll get a good laugh out of that for years to come. Glad to hear Dave is feeling a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool that the investigator wanted to meet you. You gave an excellent talk! I can't wait to have some of your homemade bread again!

    ReplyDelete