The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Very Different Thursday

It was strange not to go teach our young mothers today.   Instead we were at the Barlow working without a lot of interruptions.  Elder Anthony had quiet a few but I worked on cleaning up email lists.We left at 3 to take time for dinner and a break before returning at 6:30 to welcome in the YMCA group that we will be hosting for the next three days.  These are very sharp high school students selected from 38 states.  

YMCA Youth and Government (Y&G), also known as YMCA Youth In Government or YMCA Model Legislature and Court (MLC), is a YMCA program in the United States that allows high school students to serve in model governments at the local, state, national, and international levels.[1][2]
The YMCA Youth and Government program currently operates in 38 states and Washington, DC.
Each state may participate in the national programs, which include: the YMCA Youth Conference On National Affairs (CONA), YMCA National Judicial Competition, YMCA Youth Governors Conference, and YMCA Youth Advocate Program.  We have hosted them in our building the past several years.  They are always so appreciative to use a building as nice as our for no charge.  The young people today are in suits and dresses and each one thanked us for allowing them to use the building.  We were asked a few questions about humanitarian work.  
We have to stay with them while they are in the building.  So we probably won't get home until 10:00 tonight.  Utah does not participate as one of the 38 states.  


I just had a young man come into my office and ask me if I would mind him asking me some questions about our church.  He is 7th day Adventist.  He and I sat for 15 min. comparing our churches.  I drew him a plan of salvation on the back of my notes.  He was going to take it and I said here, take this Plan of Salvation pamphlet instead.   I just so happen to have missionary pamphlets in my office because I had loaded up the front table with pamphlets and Book of Mormons and put a sign on them,  Free.  I hope he reads it and feels free to take other information.  

3 comments:

  1. We are members at the YMCA here: it's a gym. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go mom! It feels so good to do missionary work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you guys stay up too late every night

    ReplyDelete