The Journey to Freedom

The Journey to Freedom

Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy Fourth of July

I think that DC is a great place to be for the fourth of July.  Today it rained off and on all day. That didn't seen to stop the events. Tonight we jointed our neighbors and watch the fireworks on the roof of the building we live in.  It didn't actually rain but the water in the air was so thick that it left a layer of moister on everything.  I am so grateful for the freedoms we enjoy.  I don't know how long we will keep some of those freedoms but I am grateful to live in this country.   My lesson this week is on Religious Freedom.  I have read and reread talks as I have tried to understand what our leaders are asking of us.  Elder Robert D. Hales said, "Some are offended when we bring our religion into the public square, yet the same people who insist that their viewpoints and actions be tolerated in society are often very slow to give that same tolerance to religious believers who also wish their viewpoints and actions to be tolerated.  The general lack of respect for religious viewpoints is quickly devolving into social and political intolerance for religious people and institutions."  As I have been studying the scriptures in the Book of Mormon I am concerned at how easily those rights are lost and how many people want to destroy them for their own power.

These are not my pictures.  The air was a foggy midst tonight and there was not a crystal clear shot.  



Because of the rain we decided to do one of our inside projects.  We cleaned and organized the kitchen including defrosting the fridge.  I should have done it when we arrived because I found things that we could have used.

One of the sister missionaries that went home in March stopped by the Barlow to say hi.  It was great to see her again.

Elizabeth Hermosillo
This afternoon at 4 we went to the ward for a BBQ.  Elder Anthony and I really miss BBQ ing in the summer.  It tasted so good and there was a great turn out.  We were able to sit by a young man that is just coming back to church.  After his mission he married and that only lasted 2 years and his life went upside down and he left the church and all he holds dear.  His mission president called him out the blue and asked him to come to DC and live with him and get his life back on track.  He said he was nearly living on the street.  Before he could see his mission president he cut his hair and shaved his beard.  He is now going back to living the mission standards and rules.  He studies the scriptures in the morning and prays and he is starting to find his direction again and purpose for life.  I am so glad we went tonight and was able to visit with him.  He is going to try and come to institute tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Its hard to believe you guys are getting close to coming home. I know you've touched so many lives since you've been there. I loved to see your kids camping together. I'm always so happy to hear when my kids do things together!
    That is so funny about the $2 bill. I have carried one in my wallet for years for emergencies. I guess there's a lot of us out there.
    Loved the story about the guy you met at the BBQ. Its people like his mission president and you that will carry him through until he can stand on his own again.
    Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time for your neighbor. She'll never forget your kindness. Keep up the good work.
    I love you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that young man is able to sustain the changes he is making in his life.

    ReplyDelete